July is independent retail month – a time to both celebrate and strengthen the impressive array of independent retailers operating here in Winchester city center.
The BID have been working on a scheme to bring together retailers from across the city in celebrating the month: The Festival of Independents. The project will be launched on Saturday 4th July or ‘Independent’s Day’ which coincides with the Saturday of Hat Fair giving an opportunity to share in the celebratory atmosphere in the city at the time.
The project will allow businesses to develop their own offer for the month tailored to the nature of their business: 10% off when you spend over £50, free upgrade to a large coffee, entry into a prize draw, £5 voucher to spend in August etc. These offers will be redeemable when customers show a Festival of Independent’s card at the till point like a student discount.
In line with the recommendations of last year’s Independent Retail Review the main aim for the project is to help create critical mass for independent retailers in the city and to repeatedly drive footfall throughout the month in order to make a lasting impact on consumer spending habits. In order for the project to be successful it is necessary that retailers work together in order to promote the scheme across their own channels in order to support the main multi-channel marketing program that the BID will be running. Our marketing schedule includes the following promotions (so far):
– Airtime, live-read, website takeover with The Breeze, along with their street team handing out goodies and Festivals of Independent’s cards across the city during the launch weekend
– Festival of Independent’s card distribution and advertisements with Hampshire Life Magazine
– Sponsored content on the View Winchester Facebook page
– Advertisement in print and on-line with Hampshire Chronicle
– Direct advertising to users of the Park and Ride facitilites in Winchester
– Advertisement in 30,000 Hampshire Food Festival programme
A great range of retailers from a variety of sectors across the whole city have already signed up to take part in the event but we are still keen to see more – if you are interested in being involved then please do get in touch with Emily Cotterill at firstname.lastname@example.org